Today we will be exploring the wonderful world of children and technological addiction.
I’ve talked about Video Game addiction in a previous post but we’ve never explored how to actually manage it. Now I’m not a parent myself but I can speak from every teenagers point of view and the things which help me manage my screen-time.
But First Some Statistics
A 2010 study by the Kaiser Family Foundation found that 8-to 18-year-old children devote an average of 7 hours and 38 minutes to entertainment media each day.
That’s nearly 52 hours a week!
What’s more shocking however, is the correlation between technology and mental illness has risen dramatically!
In a 2015 study, researchers at Akademiai found that “Depression, anxiety, and daytime dysfunction scores were higher in the high smartphone use group compared to the low smartphone use group.”
The results indicating that depression, anxiety, and sleep quality may be associated with smartphone overuse.
How Can I Help Minimize The Negative Impacts Of Technology?
1) Parental Monitoring – a study published in “JAMA Pediatrics” found that parental monitoring of a child’s media use can have protective benefits on their academic, social, and physical outcome. Taking the time to implement strategies is worth your time.
2) Make It A Privilege – Teach your teen to do homework and chores first, before they turn on the TV or play the computer. This will help them appreciate the little things and create healthy habits.
3) HEALTHY HABITS – Show us a healthy lifestyle! Kids love playing and having fun but if we don’t have any reason to go outside then what’s the point? I find exercising with friends is much more enjoyable than by myself.
4) Setup A Schedule And Stick To It! – If your anything like my mum then you love to be organized! So why not organize your kids well being! they may not like it at first but they’ll appreciate it in the long run.
5) Education – is probably the most important aspect in helping to limit a child’s screen-time! they must have a reason to stop and if you can’t control them then hopefully their knowledge and willpower will! Show them the risks of overuse and the mental effects that can arise. Turning off your phone and setting a ‘no touch period’ also helps drastically.
Technology benefits society in so many ways but if used incorrectly can have detrimental effects to the mental health of users!
Having knowledge about the negative effects can help decrease your risks and of those around you!
If you have any questions, please leave them below:)
Take care guy’s!